We’ve all heard about egg donation clinics and surrogacy, but never the specifics. Interested? Let’s examine this question in detail!
It may happen that people who want to have a child can’t do it naturally due to health problems or for some other reasons. In this case they can use the services of a surrogate mother – a woman who will carry and give birth to a baby in exchange for a payment.
It’s important to know that there are two types of surrogate mothers:
- Traditional surrogate mother is also a biological mother of the baby, because it was her egg fertilised by the father’s (or donor’s) sperm. In any case, after giving birth such surrogate still has to give the child away to the new parents.
- Gestational surrogate mother has no genetic ties to the baby and is just a “carrier” for someone’s egg (usually the mother’s, but a donor’s eggs can also be used) fertilized with sperm from the father.
So, you have decided that finding a surrogate mother is a good option for you to expand your family. The question is, how to find an appropriate woman to make sure the whole process works like a charm?
There are two ways to find a surrogate mother: using the services of special agencies or doing it independently. Let`s review both of them.
Finding a Surrogate with the Help of an Agency
This doesn’t require any skills, knowledge or research from you. The agency will guide you through the surrogacy. Experts will plan the entire process based on your demands and help you to find surrogate mom who is fully examined and screened, totally matches your needs and by all accounts is approved to carry a baby for you.
This way is easy and reliable, although it can be quite costly.
Independent Search of a Surrogate Mom
This requires a lot of knowledge on this topic. The main points you need to know if you want to find surrogate online:
- The legislation about surrogacy differs across countries and regions, so be sure to learn about the conditions you’ll have to deal with (depending on where you live). For example, in Russia a married woman can be a surrogate only with permission of her husband.
- Experts agree on some points about the qualities a prospective surrogate needs to have. These are: age from 20 to 35, at least one successful pregnancy and delivery of a healthy child, successful completion of psychological screening and other medical tests.
- The health of the potential candidate is of highest importance. Your surrogate should necessarily get checked for such diseases as HIV, hepatitis B and C, syphilis, gonorrhea, chlamydia, etc.Besides, the woman will have to sign a contract where all her responsibilities (including the agreement to give the baby away after its birth) are set. And this leads us to the next paragraph.
- You will also need a lawyer to get all the needed documentation in order and deal with the whole legal part of your surrogacy.
American Society for Reproductive Medicine provides lots of useful information about how to find a surrogate and other things related to this topic, so definitely give it a read if you are intending to have a baby with the help of a surrogate mom.
Eventually, you’ve done all the research and are ready to start choosing the needed woman. So, how to find a surrogate mother?
- It may sound very old-school, but still it works: place an announcement not only in social networks, but also in newspapers.
- Another way to find a surrogate mother online is to surf special sites. However, there is no guarantee you will be able to find a perfect match for all your requirements.
- Using the services of a clinic like New Life that will take care of every aspect of search for you.
So, answering the question “how to find a surrogate mom?”: it’s not an easy process, but look at it the other way. You’ll be able to finally have a loved little member of your family, so this is definitely going to be worth it.
Visit New Life website to read more about surrogacy options, our egg donation clinic and the range of services we offer.