At a young age, it is easy to conceive and give birth, but the older we get, the harder it becomes – that’s where gestational or traditional surrogacy comes to the rescue. . Various clinics where future parents can find a surrogate mother or donor have been created for this purpose. Such an opportunity is a rescue for those who have been trying for a baby with no result for a long time.
What Is Surrogacy?
Surrogate is “substitutional” motherhood. The definition of surrogacy is simple: it is a fairly new reproductive technology in which a woman (surrogate mother) voluntarily agrees to undergo in vitro fertilization (IVF) and all stages of pregnancy, and give birth for genetic parents (legal parents) who cannot do it by themselves. The conception occurs outside the body of a surrogate mother, and then fertilized eggs are transferred to her uterus.
Not every woman can become a surrogate mother: only those aged 25 to 35, who have at least one healthy child and a medical certificate about a satisfactory state of health. Besides, the surrogate mother must sign an agreement between her and the biological parents that she will not claim custody.
Potential parents can be spouses or couples who have not registered their relationship, as well as single people without a partner.
The Process of Surrogacy
- Find a surrogate mother. It is better to seek help from a qualified clinic to avoid any future problems.
- Health examination. Any clinic that provides surrogacy services, such as New Life, takes care of the examination of the future surrogate mother.
- The contract. It is concluded by spouses with the surrogate mother for compensation of all costs associated with bearing and giving birth to a child and also about the fact that the mother will immediately give the child over to the genetic parents after the birth.
- In vitro fertilization (IVF). This is a procedure for extracting an egg from a woman’s body and fertilizing it with sperm in laboratory conditions. Then the embryo is placed in the uterine cavity of the surrogate mother for further development.
- Diagnosis and observation of pregnancy. After IVF, the surrogate mother is under the supervision of doctors in the hospital for the first 3-5 days, the pregnancy can be diagnosed after 12-14 days.
- Pregnancy. Doctors monitor the course of pregnancy, and donor parents provide the surrogate with proper conditions and assistance.
- Birth of a child and the registration of parents. After the birth of the child, parents can register them as their own.
Types of Surrogacy
There are several options, depending on the biological parents’ situation:
- egg from the wife and sperm from the husband;
- egg from the client and sperm from a donor;
- egg from a donor and sperm from the husband;
- egg from a donor and sperm from a donor;
- egg from the surrogate mother and client’s sperm.
While most programs involve two sides: patient and clinic, the surrogacy requires the active participation of a third party – the surrogate mother. That’s why this program is the most difficult for legal regulation. For example, in a number of European countries, surrogacy is prohibited or only allowed without payment to surrogate mothers. Thus, parents have to wait a long time until they find a donor, or go to other countries. One such country is Ukraine, where surrogacy is completely legal. Besides, in the New Life clinic, you can also find lawyers who will provide all the necessary information for parents and help them to navigate the process.
Traditional vs Gestational Surrogacy
Surrogate motherhood is divided into two types: traditional (partial). when the egg of the surrogate mother is fertilized by the sperm of the biological father, and gestational (full), when the surrogate mother has no biological connection with the child (the egg is transferred to the uterus of the surrogate).
Gestational and traditional surrogacy both have their advantages and disadvantages. If both parents have healthy and suitable biological material, and pregnancy is impossible for some other reason, they have the opportunity to have a completely native child, which of course makes the gestational method the best. However, there are situations when one of the spouses cannot provide the material, or a single person is interested in having a baby. Then, undoubtedly, the traditional surrogacy wins.
Surrogacy is a long and complex process, which should be done in a proven clinic with experienced staff and good equipment. Despite the fact that the process is long, in the end, you will get something special – a new life. That is why the effort is worth it.
Whether you are interested in gestational or traditional surrogacy, specialists from New Life are ready to help you.